Friday 14 September 2012

Proud Hog Grannie...


























About 10days ago I found my little female outside under a table in my garden about 7am, she was very subdued and a bit cold. I picked her up and found she was covered with 14 ticks. I had noticed she was also much bigger and was worried she might have a ballooning condition that other Hogs I have found were suffering from. (see April's post)

I've known this little Hog since she was tiny and she tolerates me sitting on my doorstep whilst she munches so I have become rather attached.

Anyway I have a wooden box, towel and hot water bottle I keep for little rescuees, she perked up a little after warming up and I couldn't find any injures so I waited till my local  Rescue Centre, Brent Lodge in Siddlesham http://www.brentlodge.org/ opened. ( great site for wildlife advice! and a great place to raise funds for too!)

I knew I would not be able to remove the ticks, too many around her face and I really didn't want her to be hibernating with them and was also concerned she may be ill.

So off I went, third visit this year 26 mile round trip and was keeping everything crossed for a positive outcome.

Ticks removed successfully, drugs given we waited...

 I waited to be given to nod to come and pick her up... 

Well I'm very pleased to report that my little Hedgehog friend is the proud mum of four!!

 I am so pleased and relieved... all are doing really well

It is rather late in the season to be having a Hoglets so the young may have to over winter at the centre... they need to be 600gm to successfully hibernate.

 I've got to phone again in a weeks time...

So that dating was consummated (see post 1/08/12)

It is time to start feeding hedgehogs again... any Autumn juveniles will need help to fatten up to survive the winter. All the help you need can be found on the website above...

Have a lovely weekend....






1 comment:

  1. I'm glad she found someone as kind as you to look after her and her babies! Have a lovely weekend! Ada :)

    ReplyDelete