Wednesday 10 August 2011

Blackberry and Apple Jelly


The Blackberries I grow at the allotment are fab this year and as they present their bounty high I can actually pick most of them..
So I have been making Blackberry and fallen Apple Jelly..

Oh so easy and very yummy...














2kg of blackberries, 1kg of cooking apples and some organic sugar...

Put washed Blackberries, chopped apples (including skin and cores) and 600ml filtered water in a pan...

















Bring to and simmer fruit until nice and pulpy 15 - 20 mins




I use a masher to help it along...












Remove contents and clean pan

Then you need to strain the pulp and let it drip... I just tie a net to the handle of my preserving pan...






























So now you have the juice,  you could just freeze this to use later
or
Bring to boil and add sugar, stir till dissolved...

For every 600ml of juice you need to add 450g of sugar I use a unrefined organic one



And just let it bubble...

Now while this is happening you need to put some clean jam jars and their lids in a warm oven, I put it on mark 1...  this will sterilize them or have have a packet of preserving pot covers to use later...








After about 8-10 minutes you need to see if it has reached setting point...

Some use a thermometer either between 104-105 c or 200-221 f

Some get a saucer out of the freezer and put a tsp of jelly on to see if it starts to get a skin
and the professional will just know by the thickness of the boiling roll...

Once it is ready get your hot jars out and start to fill them as quickly as possible to 1cm from the top... it is rather sticky fun... which is why I couldn't use the camera...

It is quite normal for the last scrapping to be setting so I feel a taste test is in order...









Yummy!!











Do get the seals and lids on as soon as possible too so it is all air tight and there you are...





















Other goodies from the allotment

























Next Courgette Chutney!!!!


3 comments:

  1. Hey, I recognise those blackberries and beans!
    Mmm...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful work. I have a telephone again so I shall ring for a chat. I am doing pear concentrate as I type. Love it diluted in winter as a hot drink with cinnamon and ginger.Don't think it will last that long.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of my fovurite recipes. I have some of this jam made, sadly its packed away and at my parents in Wales. I will get to enjoy it next year when I move down. It will be vintage by then, as I made it last year.

    ReplyDelete